KS4 Design Technology.
From September 2017 there will no longer be different courses offered by the Exam Boards for DT. All the individual DT GCSE subjects have been combined into 2 specifications.
The new NNCFE Level 2 Creative Craft will be delivered for first teaching in 2019. KS4 will begin at the start of Year 9 and conclude in Year 11. There are 2 options only now for the new DT specifications:
1. GCSE Design Technology. Specification code 8552
2. NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Studies: Craft (601/0043/6
The major differences between the courses are outlined below.
GCSE Design Technology. 8552.
• The specification combines theoretical content with practical application
• There is a greater emphasis on design.
• The use of mathematical skills is a key requirement, and is tested in the
examination (15% of the written paper).
• An understanding of underlying scientific principles is expected.
• An iterative approach to designing is encouraged.
• The acquisition of practical skills is still expected.
The course will be assessed as follows:
Written Exam 50%
Why choose this course?
This course builds on the successful existing suite of GCSE DT 8552
• It gives learners the opportunity to demonstrate creativity and innovation.
• AQA will continue to provide the support you have become used to, both at the start and during the lifetime of the qualification.
• The specification is designed to be flexible in approach, offering learners the opportunity to focus on specific materials or adopt a broader approach encapsulating a range of different materials.
• There will be a wealth of useful resources, including endorsed textbooks, to help you in the delivery of the course.
Key features and benefits
• Provides sound progression from KS3.
• Offers relevant and interesting content for study.
• Focuses on the production of a prototype.
• Gives centres the flexibility of adopting a broad multi-
• Students have the opportunity to work with a wide range of materials or to specialise once the core has been covered.
• Enables progression to further study at A Level or Level 3 vocational courses.
• Would serve to complement study in related Level 1/2 Technical Awards or the GCSE in Engineering.
• Will automatically count toward school/college performance tables
NCFE Level 2 Creative Craft –Level 2 Award (601/3361/2)
About this qualification.
Our new Level NCFE Level 2 Creative Craft non-
These vocational qualifications will fulfil entry requirements for both academic and vocational study post-
Who is this NCFE Level 2 Creative Craft for?
It enables learners to work in a hands-
• A broad understanding of the sector, including career opportunities
• Core practical skills working in their chosen material area
• Transferable skills including communication and teamwork
Learners will have the opportunity to use traditional skills and also modern technologies.
This NCFE Level 2 Creative Craft will help learners develop the knowledge, skills and experience required within the industry and could potentially open the door to a career in related industries.
The course will be assessed as follows:
Unit 1. Use materials, tools and equipment to develop craft techniques.
Unit 2. Develop Craft Ideas.
Unit 3. Create, Present and Evaluate final craft item.
This NCFE Level 2 Creative Craft complements vocational qualifications including areas such as plumbing, carpentry and jewellery manufacturing.
It's also a great partner for GCSE Design and Technology or Art and Design.
Upon completion, learners can progress to Technical Certificates and other Level 3 vocational qualifications such as NVQ Carpentry or Manufacturing and Production and A-
For further information please contact
Mr Rudd Head of DT or refer to the AQA website, www.aqa.org.uk
Design Technology Vision
The Design Technology department is committed to delivering a curriculum accessible to all which provides the broadest possible range of opportunities for students; one which will allow students to become self-
In our curriculum, all pupils will: